Unpacking is a game about the familiar experience of pulling possessions out of boxes and fitting them into a new home.
Part block-fitting puzzle, part home decoration, you are invited to create a satisfying living space while learning clues about the life you’re unpacking. Over the course of eight house moves, you are given a chance to experience a sense of intimacy with a character you never see and a story you’re never told.
When the team at Safe In Our World first played Unpacking, it was immediately evident to us that it was a game that deserved to be on our mental health related games list. We found that this delightful indie allowed us to place ourselves in a pressure-free environment, to simply relax and unpack. The charming puzzles and trophies within the game allow players to turn their focus towards one thing at a time, encouraging time for self-reflection, introspection and comfort gaming.
The inclusivity within the subtle but moving storytelling was also a factor in us suggesting this to be a cosy experience for many gamers from all walks of life.
- Unpack a home — from a single bedroom to an entire house
- Meditative gameplay with no timers or scores
- Explore domestic environments with all their nooks and crannies while you stack plates, hang towels, and arrange bookshelves
- Discover a character’s story through the items that come with her to each new home (and the items that get left behind)
- Soundtrack by BAFTA award-winning composer & audio director Jeff van Dyck